It’s easier than you think to create strong, hard-to-guess, easy-to-remember passwords.
- Use a password phrase and make it relevant. If you’re joining a crossword site, think "knot my pencil" and write it something like this: |<n0tmyP3n$il
- Make it something you can visualize. It’s easier to remember that way
- Make it more than 10 characters and include capitals, numbers and symbols
- The more personal the better. For a clothing retail site think "mY5orit3$hirt’sR3d" (my favorite shirt is red)
- Use names: pets, businesses, family, friends, etc.
- Use letter or number patterns: 1234, abcd, etc.
- Use birthdays, addresses, postal or zip codes, even if you add a number or symbol
- Use less than 10 characters
- Store them locally or on the Internet