In the update manager details you see the following error:
80040406 Delivery failed for software subscription [subscription-name]. Access to the source update location is denied or the location is otherwise unavailable.
First seen in
Enterprise Console 4.0.0
This error could occur for a number of reasons.
What To Do
- Check that the update manager that is failing has one or more update sources configured.
- Right-click the update manager and select 'View/Edit Configuration'
- On the 'Sources' tab ensure there is a source shown under 'Search these sources locations for updates (in order)'.
- Select the source (by default 'Sophos' for the parent update manager) and click 'Edit'.
- Check the username is correct and re-enter the password as a test.
- Click OK to test the credentials. If there is a problem the error 'Failed to authenticate with the server. Check that the credentials are correct.' will appear. Note: If you need to request your credentials email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The source (parent) update manager may not have downloaded the packages that the child update manager is expecting. This error should resolve itself when the packages have been downloaded. Wait for approximately one hour and then check again.
- Check for errors on the source (parent) update manager - if the error is reported by an update manager that does not update from 'Sophos'.
- The update manager may have corrupt data. To refresh the data on all update managers:
- On the parent update manager, in Windows Services stop the 'Sophos Update Manager' service.
- In Windows Explorer browse to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Update Manager\
- Windows 7/2008:
- Delete the contents of the following two folders (i.e. Do not delete the '\Working\' or '\Warehouse\' directories):
- On the parent update manager, in Windows Services, start the 'Sophos Update Manager' service.
- In Enterprise Console, download the files again by right-clicking the parent update manager and selecting 'Update now'.
- Once the parent update manager has downloaded its data, right-click the child update manager and select 'Update now'.
If you have tried all the steps above but updates are still failing check the Sophos Update Manager Logviewer.exe tool for a more detailed error. Search the knowledge base for errors you see in the Logviewer.
If you are unable to find information in the knowledgebase regarding the errors shown:
- Run the Sophos Diagnostic Utility (SDU) on the computer that is the update manager (which may not necessarily be the management server).
- Complete our Support Query form and attach the output file from the SDU tool.