In the update manager details you see the following error:
80040410 Data read from the update source for software subscription [subscription-name] was invalid (e.g. corrupt or incomplete).
First seen in
Enterprise Console 4.0.0
This error code indicates that a product to which the update manager is subscribed is not available in its update source.
What To Do
Check to see which of the following might apply:
Update manager updates from 'Sophos'...
If the update manager downloads updates directly from Sophos, review your list of subscriptions in Enterprise Console to see if there are any products listed that have been retired by Sophos. If there are, please subscribe to a more recent version of the product.
Update manager updates from another update manager...
If the update manager downloads updates from another update manager, the parent update manager may not have had a chance to download the updates. Wait until the parent update manager is updated and then check to see if the error still exists.
The warehouse has been moved...
If the update manager has had its update warehouse changed, possibly due to a license change, and the products subscribed to are no longer available in the new warehouse, then opening the subscription and clicking OK will ensure you are subscribed to the correct products chosen in the dialog.
When a child update manager shows the error...
If the parent update manager has successfully downloaded the update, but the error is still shown for the child update manager, the parent warehouse may be corrupt. You must clear the parent update manager's cache in order to clear the error:
- On the parent update manager, in Windows Services stop the 'Sophos Update Manager' service.
- In Windows Explorer browse to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Update Manager\
- Windows 7/2008:
C:\Program Data\Sophos\Update Manager\
- Delete the contents on the following two folders:
- On the parent update manager, in Windows Services, start the 'Sophos Update Manager' service.
- In Enterprise Console, download the files again by right-clicking the parent update manager and selecting 'Update now'.
- Once the parent update manager has downloaded its data, right-click the child update manager and select 'Update now'.
If you have tried all the steps above but updates are still failing check the Sophos Update Manager Logviewer.exe tool for a more detailed error. Search the knowledgebase for errors you see in the Logviewer.
If you are unable to find information in the knowledgebase regarding the errors shown:
- Run the Sophos Diagnostic Utility (SDU) on the computer that is the update manager (which may not necessarily be the management server).
- Complete our Support Query form and attach the output file from the SDU tool.