Warning messages displayed by Microsoft SharePoint may be incorrect. Messages may refer to viruses, even though the files have actually been blocked by the Sophos for Microsoft SharePoint on-access scanner for a reason other than infection. This is a known Microsoft SharePoint issue.
- If you access SharePoint through a web browser, messages may be displayed with a yellow banner in a 'Virus Found' box.
- If you access SharePoint through Microsoft Office, messages will usually be displayed in a message box.
Examples of the types of messages you might see
- You click 'Upload document'. If the file has been blocked by the Sophos on-access scanner because of a content rule, Microsoft SharePoint or Microsoft Office will display a message similar to the following:
"Filename" contains the following virus: "None. Filename contained the following policy violation(s):
Reason: e.g. Blocked file type detected DOS/Windows executable file".
This file cannot be saved to the document library. If you want to save this file to the document library, clean the file using alternative virus scanning software and try saving it again.
Because the file has been blocked by a content rule, the advice about a virus being found and the need to clean it using alternative virus scanning software should not apply.
- You use 'Upload multiple documents' to upload several files. If more than one document is blocked by the Sophos on-access scanner, then Microsoft SharePoint displays the following message:
Several files were infected by a virus. These files were cleaned and have been saved to the document library.
This message is incorrect. What actually happens is that files that require blocking are blocked, and the ones that do not require blocking are correctly uploaded.
- You use 'Send to' or 'Download a copy' on an existing document in your SharePoint document library. If access to the document is blocked by the Sophos on-access scanner, then Microsoft SharePoint displays the following message:
Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041050
The file is correctly blocked, the action fails.
- You use 'New Discussion' or 'Reply' to a discussion list, or, for example, 'Add a new announcement' or 'Add a new event'. If a file that is an attachment is blocked by the Sophos on-access scanner. Microsoft SharePoint displays the following message:
Exception from HRESULT: 0x81079604
The item, announcement, etc. are added, but without the attachment.