The Sophos shield has a white-cross on a red-circle on it. When you check the Sophos AutoUpdate log (alc.log), it shows that the PureMessage updates are failing to install. For example:
Error: Installation of product PMSR failed
Note: before continuing with the procedure below, check that you are using the correct username.
Sophos product and version
Sophos PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 2.6.1, 3.0.0
What to do
- In Windows Services, stop the Sophos AutoUpdate service.
- In Windows Task Manager, stop the following processes if they exist:
- Go to each of the following folders, and delete the contents of the folder:
- C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache
- C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Data\Warehouse
- C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Data\Channels
- In C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\data\status\ delete the file status.xml.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Sophos\PureMessage\
- if it contains any 'pmsr_tempXX' folders, delete them
- delete the contents of the file datadir. If you are not allowed to delete the contents of this file, you will need to stop the PureMessage services, these are
- Sophos PureMessage Service
- Sophos PureMessage Running Object Table
- Sophos PureMessage Scanner
- Start the Sophos AutoUpdate service.
- Go to Start|All Programs|Startup and click 'AutoUpdate Monitor'.
- Right click on the Sophos shield and select 'Update now'.
PureMessage updates are failing to install. This may be due to a corrupt cache.