The following message is shown in your console:
- One or more endpoint computers report to the console:
0000006d Restart needed for updates to take effect
In the computer ALC.log file you see the following:
WARNING: Restart needed for updates to take effect
First seen in
Enterprise Console 3.0
The client software is requesting a reboot of the computer. The request can occur under different circumstances:
- A new installation of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control.
- An upgrade of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control:
- Upgrades of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control that require a restart will be detailed in the release calendar.
- An existing pending reboot operation on the computer. This may have been triggered by a third party:
- Sophos alerts to these pending reboots for security Best Practice and to ensure you are aware of an outstanding reboot requirement.
What to do
It is recommended that you reboot as soon as it is convenient for you to do so. Unless otherwise stated, protection is maintained until you restart.
Following the restart, when the next update takes place the reboot message in the console should be cleared.
- The next update typically occurs five minutes after the service: 'Sophos AutoUpdate Service' starts. So the 'Restart needed' message may still be visible for up to five minutes after performing the reboot of the endpoint.
- It is recommended that you also check that the 'Last message time' from the computer is recent (post reboot) to ensure that Sophos Remote Management System (RMS) is functioning correctly. This can be found either when viewing the details of the computer or in your console, or under the 'Computer Details' tab.
If the 'Restart needed' message does not disappear following a restart of the endpoint
If the computer is still requesting a restart, then manually remove the following 'VolatileFlags' registry key and then force an 'Update now':
- 32-bit: HKLM\Software\Sophos\AutoUpdate\UpdateStatus\VolatileFlags
- 64-bit: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sophos\AutoUpdate\UpdateStatus\VolatileFlags
Note: Removal of these registry keys does not remove the requirement for a reboot and should only be done if the 'Restart needed' message has not cleared following a restart of the computer.