In the PureMessage for Windows/Exchange console, the error code 0x80660201 and an error message is reported in the Jobs|Mail (SMTP) section of the tree, or in the SMTP.LOG. This code indicates that contact with the virus engine has been lost, and mail is no longer being scanned. The message resembles the following:
5/13/2003 11:34:45 SVX_MSGSEV_ERR: Exception in ScanMessage (Error code 0x80660201) occurred while scanning message '<6BC0837706EEFB46A520A2EB4ABD14A9036F73@domain.com>'
One or more of the following may also be seen:
- a message in Jobs|Exchange Information Store|Status tab section of the tree, or in the logfile 'Realtime Store.Log':
5/13/2003 11:34:45 Failed to scan stream (Error code 0x80660201) occurred
- an error in the ALC.LOG, if AutoUpdate is installed (this could be error 0x80041f01).
In any of the above error messages, the error code reported could also be 8060201.
These errors occur because PureMessage has lost the connection to the local Sophos Anti-Virus engine. This usually follows a failed update to Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+.
WARNING: Emails are not scanned for viruses until this is fixed.
What to do
Open Windows services and restart the PureMessage for Exchange service.
If the error message still appears, carry out the following procedure:
- Close the PureMessage console.
- Open Windows services and stop these two services:
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol(SMTP) service
- PureMessage service
- Update Sophos Ant-Virus in one of the following ways:
- If you have Sophos AutoUpdate:
Delete the file "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOPHOS\AUTOUPDATE\CACHE\SAV\CIDSYNC.UPD". Double-click the shield icon in the system tray which forces Sophos Anti-Virus to update.
- If you do not have Sophos AutoUpdate:
Click Start|Run, and enter the command
- Ensure that the update completes correctly - check that the Sophos shield in the system tray is blue.
- Start the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service and then the PureMessage service.