If you have uninstalled PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange and then you try to reinstall it, the following error may be displayed:
Error initialising the quarantine database
When you click 'OK', a second error is displayed:
Fatal error during installation
Please consult Windows installer help for further information
When you click 'OK', the installation rolls back.
This can happen when information from an earlier installation of PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange remains in the SQL Server database.
What to do
Note: PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange uses the same SQL Server instance as other Sophos products. Removing the whole SQL Server instance will damage those products. These notes describe the manual removal of the PureMessage components only. If these instructions are not followed correctly, the SQL Server database may be damaged. A complete reinstallation of all of the Sophos products involved will then be necessary.
- Stop the MSSQL$SOPHOS service.
- Browse to the folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SOPHOS\Data
- Create a new folder, with a name and location of your choice, and move the following files to that folder, renaming the files as follows:
- 'SavexQuar.mdf' rename to 'SavexQuar.mdfold'
- 'SavexQuar_log.LDF' rename to 'SavexQuar_log.LDFold'
- Start the MSSQL$SOPHOS service.
- Start again with the installation of PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange.