This article provides information on updates to Remote Management System (RMS) for Windows, version 4.0. In order to support this release, updates to the components listed below will shortly be released.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Update Manager 1.5.2
Enterprise Console 5.2.2
What is being released?
- Sophos Update Manager (SUM) version 1.5.2 - RMS will now be updated by SUM rather than AutoUpdate on computers running this version of SUM and later. Customers using SUM on the 'Preview' or 'Recommended' subscriptions will have RMS 4.0 installed on those computers running SUM when they upgrade to SUM 1.5.2. This update will not affect endpoints directly.
- Sophos Enterprise Console version 5.2.2 - Incorporating RMS 4.0 updates for the management server. Compatible with endpoints running older versions of RMS. Older versions of Enterprise Console are also compatible with computers running RMS version 4.
- Remote Management System (RMS) version 4.0 for Windows endpoints - Updating RMS 4.0 on Windows endpoints.
When are they being released?
- SUM 1.5.2 - From 8th July for customers on the 'Preview' or 'Recommended' subscription of SUM, we will be updating SUM to version 1.5.2. Customers on the ‘Extended’ subscription of SUM will not receive the update before September.
- RMS version 4.0 for Windows endpoints - This will be released as part of a future endpoint maintenance release, where it will initially be made available through the 'Preview' subscription.
- SEC 5.2.2 - Released on 23rd June 2014.
SUM 1.5.2 Release
- Customers using the 'Preview' or 'Recommended' subscription for SUM, RMS versions 4.0 will be installed on computers running SUM. The SUM 1.5.2 release will only update RMS on computers running SUM. This update will not affect endpoint directly.
- Managed clients (Windows, Linux, Unix and Mac) running an earlier version of RMS will be compatible with RMS version 4.
- The size of the update is expected to be 26MB.
What To Do
No action is required unless you need to control the roll-out of the SUM 1.5.2 software.
If you wish to control this release, you must first determine whether you have a Small Business or Enterprise type of license, by referring to article 111179 for details.
If you have an Enterprise license and you wish to test this update first, the following steps can be carried out:
- Launch Enterprise Console.
- Click on the 'Update managers' toolbar icon.
- For each of the SUMs you wish to keep on SUM 1.5.1 and therefore RMS 3.4.1, right click on the computer name and select 'View/Edit Configuration'.
- Select the 'Advanced' tab and choose the 'Extended' package as shown below.
Note: It is expected that SUM 1.5.2 will become the 'Extended' version sometime in September.
If you have a Small Business license:
You are not able to control the software versions, you will therefore receive this update as part of the automatic upgrade process.
More information on RMS 4.0
- For computers running SUM, RMS will now be updated by SUM and not by Sophos AutoUpdate.
- Third party libraries used by RMS have been updated.
- The default number of log files generated by RMS components has been increased from four to eight.
- The Sophos Message Router service (RouterNT.exe) has additional logic to reconnect to its parent Message Router in the event of communication failure. This may generate event log errors.
- The IP address of the computer reported to the management server and displayed in the console should better reflect the IP address of the managed client.
- The Sophos Agent service (ManagementAgentNT.exe) will also request a new certificate if it does not already have a 2048 key length. For more information on this see article 113240.
- The Sophos Agent service no longer listens on all network interfaces for inter-process communication with the local Message Router. Typically this is not an issue if a firewall is on the computer and blocking these ports externally, however a few customers have reported network scanning tools finding these open ports where a firewall cannot or was not configured.
- No restart is required for the RMS version 3 to version 4 upgrade.