After installation of the SafeGuard / Sophos Disk Encryption Client, loading the Credential Provider tiles takes longer than before the installation of the client. During the loading of the Credential Provider tiles, the machine "hangs" in the logon User Interface and only the Windows default background is displayed.
The article describes a way how to reduce the loading times.
Limitations: The modifications must not be done on a SafeGuard Client where a SmartCard / Fingerprint or Token is used to authenticate against the system!
Windows 8, 8.1
What To Do
Follow the steps below on an affected SafeGuard / Sophos Disk Encryption Client to reduce the loading time of the Credential Provider tiles:
- Open the registry on an affected Client and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceGroupOrder
- Create a backup of the registry hive (right click on the "ServiceGroupOrder" hive and select "Export")
- In the details pane, select the "List" REG_MULTI_SZ key and edit its contents
- Browse the list until the value "Event Log" appears and create a new entry after "Event Log", called "SGNAuth":
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SGNAuthService
- Create a backup of the registry hive (right click on the "SGNAuthService" hive and select "Export")
- Edit the "DependOnService" REG_MULTI_SZ Value and remove the Smart Card Service (SCardSrv) dependency, so that only the dependency on the Remote Procedure Call (RpcSs) remains (see screenshot below)
- Edit the "Group" REG_EXPAND_SZ Value and change it to "SGNAuth" (see screenshot below)
Restart the SafeGuard / Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption Client and check if the logon delay decreased.