The Sophos Mobile Control Service is not able to start. Starting the service manually using services.msc fails with the error message
'The SMCSVC service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs'.
First seen in
Sophos Mobile Control 4.0
Sophos Mobile Control 3.5
This is cause by an incorrectly configured JAVA_HOME system variable.
What To Do
In order to solve this issue, the JAVA_HOME must be edited to point to the right directory.
- Login to the Sophos Mobile Control (SMC) server with an administrative user
- Right click on 'Computer' and select 'Properties'
- On the left hand side, click on 'Advanced system settings'
- In the window which opens, press the 'Environment Variables' button
- In the lower half of the window, double click 'JAVA_HOME' to edit the variable
- Enter the path to the java installation, e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_40\
Note: depending on the java version you installed the path might be different
- Save the changes
- Restart the whole server to let the changes take effect
After following these steps the SMC service should start up correctly again.
This fix does not apply to Sophos Mobile Control 5.