This article provides information on the Microsoft application DebugView.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Not product specific
What is DebugView?
DebugView is a Microsoft application that lets you monitor debug output on your local system, or any computer on the network that you can reach via TCP/IP.
How is it used to troubleshoot Sophos problems?
Some Sophos products generate debug information, however this information is not logged to a particular file and hence there is no record of it written to disk. When troubleshooting certain problems we may ask you to run DebugView to capture this output and send it to us for analysis or you may find other knowledgebase articles requesting DebugView be used.
How do you use it?
- Log on to the computer with an administrator account.
- Download the program (see question below for links) and extract the program.
- Double-click the program (or right-click and 'run as administrator'). Select 'Yes' to the User Account Control prompt if shown.
- From the 'Capture' menu ensure the following options are both selected:
- Prepare to recreate the issue. This may involve restarting an application or service, or by enabling other options (such as registry keys) described in other articles.
- Enable the capture by pressing the capture button:
- Recreate the issue. This may involve specific instructions on what to do during the capture that you have received from us or mentioned in other articles.
- As soon as the issue/event has occurred stop the capture by pressing the same capture button shown in step six.
- Save the capture to a log file:
The log file, and normally an output from Sophos Diagnostic Utility (post-capture) should be sent to us for analysis. Either reply to the last email you received from us on the already open case or upload the files to your case with our web form (include your existing case reference). Note: The web form allows files up to 30 MB in size. If the file(s) is still too large consider zipping up the file before emailing/uploading.
Where can I download it from?
The program can be download from the Windows Internals page or from live.sysinternals.com.
When running DebugView I see 'Unable to monitor Global Win32 debug output : Access is denied.'
To avoid this error right-click the program and select 'Run as administrator' as shown below.
More information is available from the Windows Internals page and from the online help files.