This article describes how to use the new Volume Purchase Program with Sophos Mobile Control 3.6.
Former versions of Sophos Mobile Control do not support this Volume Purchase Program introduced by Apple in 2013.
The former way to distribute apps using the spreadsheets provided by Apple is still possible with Sophos Mobile Control 3.6.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Mobile Control as a Service 3.6
Sophos Mobile Control 3.6
What To Do
In order to use Apple's Volume Purchase Program (VPP) several steps are required which are listed below.
1. Enable an Apple ID for VPP
You require an Apple ID which is enabled for the VPP program. This can be done via vpp.itunes.apple.com.
2. Download and configure service token (sToken)
Once you have a VPP enabled Apple ID, log in to the VPP portal and download the service Token (sToken) at the bottom of your VPP account page.
This sToken has to be configured in the Sophos Mobile Control web console.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Download the sToken from the Apple website
- Log into your Sophos Mobile Control web console as an administrator
- Go to "Settings | System setup"
- Select the "iOS Volume Purchase Program" tab and enter your sToken and the corresponding Apple ID
- Save the changes
Note: The sToken is valid for one year and has to be renewed after that time.
3. Invite users to join your VPP program
Once the sToken is configured, you can invite your users to join your VPP program. Please make sure the VPP invitation email is configured properly in the "iOS Volume Purchase Program".
The email address you send the invitation email to can be a corporate address or a private email address. Depending on the user directory configured for your SMC server you can send out emails via the "Users" section (internal LDAP directory configured) or using the "VPP users" view (external LDAP directory configured).
Users will receive an email containing a link which they have to click on. If this is done on a PC, iTunes has to be installed. If the procedure is done on an iOS device, they have to authenticate with their Apple ID. After the user signed in, the Apple ID will be associated to your VPP account.
4. Create software package for your purchased application
Once you have purchased an application, you can now create a new software package within the SMC web console.
To do so, log on to the SMC web console using your administrator account of your SMC customer.
- Create a new software package for your iOS devices
- Enter a name for the software package
- Enter the version of the software package
- Select the iOS versions for which this package should be available
- Choose "Link to package" and enter the link to the iOS app
If you do not have the respective link yet you can use the iTunes Link Maker
Make sure you use the link displayed at the "Direct Link" section
- Click the "Save" icon to save the changes
Now the application package has been created, the VPP licenses can be assigned to users who have joined your VPP program.
To do so, you have two different possibilities.
5a. Assign VPP licenses via the SMC software package
- Click the "Edit" pencil icon next to the created software package created in the step before. The edit view is displayed.
- Press the "Show" button next to "VPP licenses"
- All users who have joined your VPP account will be displayed here
- Mark the checkbox for every user who should be able to use a license
- Save the changes by pressing the "Apply" button
- Press the "Save" button to keep your changes
5b. Assign VPP licenses via the "Users" / "VPP users" view
You can also assign VPP licenses using the "Users" / "VPP users" view. Follow the steps below on how to do this.
Note: Depending on the directory configured for your SMC customer, you have to either go to the "Users" view or "VPP users". If you have the SMC internal LDAP user directory configured, the "Users" view has to be used. If an external LDAP directory is configured, the "VPP users" view is displayed and should be used.
- Go to the "Users" / "VPP Users" view
- Edit the user you want to assign licenses
- Press the "Show VPP licenses" button
- Select the applications which should be assigned to this user
Note: In this view, all apps purchased by your VPP account are displayed
- Click "Apply"
- Press the "Save" button
Now, the licenses are assigned and the user will be able to download the app or you can distribute the application via the SMC server.