When attempting to uninstall a Sophos Update Manager (SUM) server from a Windows 7 computer the following error is seen:
Error 25008.WaitOnLockedFile: Cannot open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Update Manager\SUMAdapter.dll A Windows API call returned error 5
First seen in
Sophos Update Manager 1.2.1
User Account Control (UAC) is set to level 2 of the 4 - "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)".
What To Do
Please make sure the Sophos Update Manager is up dated to version 184.108.40.206 and then attempt to uninstall.
Changes were made is this release so the uninstall would succeed.
- On the affected endpoint navigate to the taskbar, click Start|Run. Type appwiz.cpl and press return.
- Within Programs and Features select 'Sophos Update Manager' from the list and confirm the version is 220.127.116.11 and uninstall.
- If the version installed is less than 18.104.22.168 you will need to upgrade this Update Manager and attempt the uninstall again.
- Within Enterprise Console select the 'Update Managers' view from the toolbar.
- Then select the required 'Update Manager' and right click and select 'View/Edit Configuration.
- From the Advanced tab, select either 22.214.171.124 or '1 Recommended' from the list and select 'OK'.
- This will then apply the configuration to the Sophos Update Manager selected.
- Right click on the required Update Manager and select 'Update Now'.
- Within the 'Download Status' column 'Downloading binaries' will appear and shortly return to a current timestamp
- In the 'Version' column, Sophos Update Manager will show the release which has been installed as per step 6.
- On the affected endpoint uninstall Sophos Update Manager from Programs and Features.
Note: When selecting a 'Recommended' Subscription see the following article.