By default the method used to deploy the Android client is to link to the Google Play Store. This article describes how to deploy the Sophos Mobile Control Android client from your own server.
Known to apply to the following Sophos products and versions
Sophos Mobile Control as a Service 3.6
Sophos Mobile Control as a Service 3.5
Sophos Mobile Control 3.6
Sophos Mobile Control 3.5
What to do Note:
To successfully deploy software from the Sophos Mobile Control server to an Android device, the server requires an SSL certificate which was signed by an official Certification Authority. If a self-signed certificate was used the download of the apk file will not proceed correctly.
Applications packages for android must have the .apk extension.
The latest version of the Sophos Mobile Control client apk file can be downloaded from the Sophos website in the download section.
- Log on to the Sophos Mobile Control web console
- In the "Settings" section select "Client packages"
- Click + to create a new client package
- Specify name, version and select the operating system according to your needs (i.e. Name: SMC Client Version: Server)
- Change the radio button selection to "Upload package"
- Click the "Browse" button and select the apk file you downloaded from the Sophos website
- Click "Save"
Now you can deploy the package from the server. On the Android device, make sure the "Unknown Sources" is enabled to allow the download of applications which are not part of the Google Play Store. This setting can be found in "Settings | Security".