When installing Sophos Control Center, installation fails and the following error from the Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 installation program appears:
An instance with the same name is already installed on this computer. To proceed with SQL Server Setup, provide a unique instance name.
Sophos Control Center does not support Microsoft SQL 2008; however, the server on which you are installing Sophos Control Center has a SOPHOS instance of Microsoft SQL 2008 installed. This may be because:
- Sophos PureMessage 3.1 was installed before Sophos Control Center: a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 instance called SOPHOS was installed to host the PureMessage database.
- An instance called SOPHOS may have been manually created in Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
What to do
If you have PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 3.1 installed
- In Add/Remove Programs:
- Uninstall Sophos PureMessage 3.1.
- Uninstall the Microsoft SQL 2008 SOPHOS instance as follows:
Run the Sophos Control Center installation program again. This will create a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SOPHOS instance. Run the PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 3.1 installation program again. PureMessage will detect and use the new SQL 2005 Express SOPHOS instance.
- Select Uninstall/Change.
- Choose Remove from the options box. This will go through Setup Support Rules and it will then give you the option to choose an instance.
- Select the SOPHOS instance to remove.
If you do not have PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 3.1 installed
- In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Microsoft SQL 2008 SOPHOS instance.
- Run the Sophos Control Center installation program again. This will create a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SOPHOS instance.
More information about how to remove an existing SQL instance can be found in this Microsoft knowledgebase article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx.