- Management service failing to start
- This may include from the Microsoft SQL ERRORLOG file:
2010-01-29 04:27:11.31 Logon Login failed for user 'Domain\Administrator'.
Note: In SEC5.0 this may be the account name that you specified during the initial setup
First seen in
Enterprise Console 4.0.0
The severity of the error indicates the seriousness of the error. A severity level of 14 indicates an error in the range described as user correctable, which is understandable for login failures.
The next item of information the error provides is the state number. Most errors have a state number associated with them which provides further information which is usually unique to the error that has been thrown. For a login error, state: 8, shown in the above example, indicate an invalid password was used.
The state number therefore provides invaluable information about the reason for the login
failure and can often be enough to identify the cause of an 18456 error.
State number is 16: Login valid, but not allowed to use the target database
What To Do
Ensure that the account mentioned in the initial error message is listed, under Sophos DB Admins. Make a note of the account name mentioned. You can check this in the Active Directory (Start | Administrative tools | Active Directory User and Computers). Double click Sophos DB Admins and click on members tab and ensure that the account is listed there.
Download and install SQL Management Studio Express relevant to the version installed. You can check SQL version via Control Panel | Add remove programs (32 bit Operating Systems) or Programs & Features (For 64 bit Operating Systems). Control Panel can be accessed by opening Start | Run | type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes) | Press Enter For Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 install
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 Management Studio Express Service Pack 2 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593
If the installed version is showing as Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 then please install Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express Service Pack 1 : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593
Once installed please Click Start | All Programs | Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or2008 | Configuration Tools | Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 or 2008 Management Studio Express. Once the SSME program runs it will present you with the logon screen. Please make sure that you:
- Authentication = Windows Authentication
- Connect to to the appropriate servername
- Expand Security | Login | ensure that the account mentioned in the initial error message (see step No.1) is listed, if not then, right mouse click and select New Login and create the account for the user name shown in the error message (see step 1).
- If the instance of SOPHOSX (This could be SOPHOS4, SOPHOS45,SOPHOS47 or SOPHOS50). Right mouse click SOPHOSX | Properties | Permissions and ensure that Sophos DB Admins is listed.