During the installation of the SafeGuard Enterprise client the following message is displayed:
Error 5002: Some pending file operations were detected.
Please restart this machine in any case before you start the installation again!
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
SafeGuard Device Encryption
All supported Operating Systems
What To Do
This section describes several procedures which you may need to carry out, together with the technical background to this issue.
- This error occurs if a previous installation ended without the reboot required to complete the installation.
You must reboot the system (under some circumstances, several times) until the installation process can be restarted.
- During the installation of SGN the registry key "PendingFileRenameOperations" is checked. If it exists the installation will be aborted.
What is the 'PendingFileRenameOperations' value for:
This value allows applications to delete or replace files (EXEs, DLLs etc.) that are currently in use by the operating system in a delayed way:
By entering the file path in the
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations registry value (REG_MULTI_SZ), an application instructs the OS to delete the respective file during the next boot phase. The OS then cleans up the registry value by itself. This cleanup procedure does not always work reliably.
- Reboot the system before the installation is started.
Solution 2 (should only be used when 1 has not been successful)
- Renaming the key before SGN installation and renaming it back after SGN installation and the following reboot (which, indeed, are two reboots, the second one implicitly triggered by SGN).
- deleting the 'PendingFileRenameOperations' value --> This would simply render previous installation or upgrade procedures useless.
If this error occurs and the registry key is not present.
- Open Windows explorer and check to see if the hidden system folder "config.msi" exists. If so, clean up the contents of this folder and then delete the folder.