This article explains how to enable the tracing functionality for SafeGuard Enterprise
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
SafeGuard Management Center / Local Policy Editor
SafeGuard LAN Crypt Client for PC
SafeGuard LAN Crypt Administration
SafeGuard Enterprise Server
SafeGuard Device Encryption
SafeGuard Data Exchange
SafeGuard Configuration Protection
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.x, 10
Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012
What To Do
Important: You must set the trace level back to the original value after you have gathered the required information and performed the necessary steps (e.g. sync SafeGuard Enterprise Client with the Server), because this tracefile could grow quite fast!
Should you run SafeGuard Client version 7.00.0.x make sure to upgrade to SafeGuard Client 7.00.1.2 Service Release prior to starting the trace
- Open the following registry key:
- Set the "MinimumTraceLevel" to 0.
- Reboot the computer.
Changing the tracelevel will take effect after a reboot of the SafeGuard Enterprise client. On the SafeGuard Enterprise Server, it will be necessary to restart the IIS server.
This change defines the level of tracing, where "0" is the highest possible, i.e. this will log the maximum amount of information.
The tracefile is called logfile.sgt and, by default, is located in:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Windows Server 2003
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Utimaco"
- Microsoft Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8.x / Windows 10 / Windows Server 2008 / Windows Server 2012
The logfile path can also be modified within the above registry key but please ensure that "Everyone" has "Write" permission on the new location.
- In SafeGuard Enterprise 5.2x: the default value (minimal tracing) is 6 (decimal)
- As of SafeGuard Enterprise 5.3x: the default value (minimal tracing) is 90 (decimal)