This article explains how to install the Sophos databases to your SQL cluster. The following assumptions are made:
- You have the necessary rights to be able to create Windows domain users and groups.
- You have the necessary rights to create databases in your SQL cluster instance, i.e., the Windows user is a member of the SQL sysadmin role for example.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Enterprise Console 5.4.0
Enterprise Console 5.3.1
Enterprise Console 5.3.0
Enterprise Console 5.2.2
What to do
Setting up Windows users and groups
- Create a new Windows security group in your domain called: 'Sophos DB Admins'. This group should be created with 'Domain local' scope.
- Choose and account to be used by the Sophos management server to access the database. If necessary, create a new database account.
- Add the 'database' account to the 'Sophos DB Admins' group created in step 1.
Creating the Sophos databases
- Run the Sophos Enterprise Console (SEC) version 5.x installer on the server where the management server is to be installed but once the extraction of the files are complete, cancel the installation.
- The database install files are now located in: 'C:\sec_[Version]\ServerInstaller\DB\' or the directory you specified if changed.
- These scripts now need to be executed against the SQL cluster to create the necessary Sophos databases.
Note: These scripts can be run from any computer that has access to the SQL Server instance but should be run as Windows account which has sufficient SQL rights (see assumptions at the top) in order to be able to create databases in the chosen instance.
- To create the databases see article 116768.
Installing Enterprise Console on the management server
Once you have created the required databases for your installation install Sophos Enterprise Console.
- On the management server log on as an administrator
- Start the console installer (setup.exe) and select all server components except the database.
- When prompted, specify the SQL server instance name where the database was installed.
- When prompted, specify the account which the Enterprise Console server will use to access the database (see step 2).
For information on advanced installation, see the Advanced startup guide for the version of Sophos Enterprise Console you've installed.