After installing the Sophos Mobile Control company app, the Sophos Mobile Control Windows Phone 8 app does not synchronize with the SMC server.
An error is displayed saying
'Could not login. Please try again later or contact your administrator.'.
The device itself is listed as 'unmanaged' in the Sophos Mobile Control web console.
First seen in
Sophos Mobile Control 5.1
Sophos Mobile Control 5.0
Sophos Mobile Control 4.0
Sophos Mobile Control 3.6
Sophos Mobile Control 3.5
Windows Phone 8
The main cause of this problem is that a self-signed certificate is used for the Sophos Mobile Control (SMC) server.
Due to this a trusted connection to the server could not be established which is necessary.
What To Do
As of now, there are two possible solutions for this issue:
- Purchase a certificate signed by an official CA and implement it on the SMC server.
This way, the Sophos Mobile Control app would be able to establish a trusted connection to the server.
- Import the two certificates of the SMC server onto the device. To import the certificates they have to be in the DER format. The following steps describe how to achieve this.
- Open the SMC website with the Internet Explorer and an administrative user
- Confirm the certificate warning and connect to the site
- Click on the 'Certificate error' field next to the address bar and select 'View certificate'
- Switch to the 'Details' tab
- Press the 'Copy to File' button and save the certificate with the 'DER' format.
- After finishing the export, you are back at the certificate view
- Go to the tab 'Certification Path' and double-click the MDM CA certificate
- Switch again to the details tab and export the file as you did before
After doing this you got the two certificates which have to be deployed to your Windows Phone 8 devices.
This can be done either by attaching them to an email or by providing the certificates using a download link.
The Windows Phone 8 users have to import these two certificates into their devices by simply clicking on them.
A pop will occur asking the user to tap on the screen to process and install the certificate.
After the certificates are installed the synchronization of the Windows Phone 8 devices with SMC should work.