This article provides instructions on how to check for, and apply updates (such as security patches or minor version updates) to PureMessage for UNIX.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
PureMessage for Unix
What To Do
In the admin interface you can check for updates by click on 'Support | Check for Updates' press the 'Query' button
However, this only shows you if there are actually updates. To install them you need to run pmx-setup on the shell.
There’s a note stating this in the admin interface:
“To see if there are any updates available for your software, query a package repository below by selecting one from the list and pressing the Query button. Packages that have updates available will be highlighted. If updated packages are available you should update them by running the pmx-setup script.”
Updating PureMessage using pmx-setup
When you run pmx-setup there’s an option to check for updates.
- First switch to root user and then run the command:
- Note that you should upgrade the CSM/DB server first, and then the edge servers.
If you want to back up your DB first, you can dump it to file by following the KB below:
PureMessage for UNIX: Dumping and Restoring the PostgreSQL database
- Select 'Upgrade PureMessage Components'
- Select 'Check for updates'
- Select 'Upgrade components' and allow PureMessage to stop
- OK when finished
PureMessage will then check for updates again automatically. It is normal to see that some packages will already have updates available again – don’t worry about these as PureMessage will take care of these its self.
- Return to the main menu and exit pmx-setup.
- Start PureMessage again with the command