When updating a major version of JAVA (e.g. 1.6 to 1.7) it is necessary to uninstall the old version before running the setup of the new version. If you do not do this, you will have two installations of JAVA on your system. Also your PATH variable is not altered so SMC will still attempt to use the old JAVA version.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Mobile Control
What To Do
Important: Updating the Java installation is only necessary for Sophos Mobile Control 4 or lower versions. As of Sophos Mobile Control 5 a special Java installation is shipped with the product which does not require manual updating.
To update your JAVA / Java Development Kit (JDK), do the following on your SMC server:
- Stop the SMC service.
- Uninstall your old JAVA version.
- Install the new JAVA version.
- Verify that JAVA is still in your path variable (open the command line and type echo %PATH%).
- JAVA_HOME should point to the JDK install folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\)
Note: The JAVA_HOME variable is not updated automatically. This has to be changed manually using the "Advanced System Settings"
- PATH should point to the "bin" sub-folder of the JDK install folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\bin)
- Restart your server (otherwise your PATH variable will not be updated).
- Verify that the SMC service is running.