This article explains how to troubleshoot registration issues for the Sophos Access Point.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos UTM 9.100 or higher
How to troubleshoot registration issues for the Sophos Access Point
Wireless access points attempt to register with UTM using the address 220.127.116.11 on TCP port 2712.
- If the AP doesn´t appear you can first of all have to check if the interface the AP is connected to is configured with a static IP address at Interfaces & Routing | Interfaces
- When the interface is configured you have to check if a DHCP server is configured for this interface so the AP gets an IP to connect at Network Services | DHCP
Note: The default gateway of the DHCP server have to be the IP of the interface where the AP is connected to
Router between UTM and AP
In case you are using a router (which is in this case the default gateway for the AP) in between the AP and the UTM it could also cause registration issues as the router doesn´t forward packets from the AP to the UTM with the magic IP.
To fix this issue configure a route on the Router for the IP 18.104.22.168 to the UTM
In case you can not configure a route on the Router you can alternatively configure your DHCP server to forward all registration requests to the IP of the interface on the UTM instead of the magic IP.
This can be done by configuring the DHCP server option code 234(magic IP) for the IP of the interface where the AP is connected to.
Example: Configuration of DHCP option 234 on Windows Server 2008
- Logon to your Windows Server 2008 and open the DHCP configuration.
- Select the applicable DHCP server in the tree and click on "Predefined Options"
- Now click on "Add"
- Provide the following information:
data type: IP address
- Click OK
- Now select the newly added option in the list above and add the IP address of the interface where the AP is connected to(192.168.205.2 in our example)
- Then right-click on "Server Options" and select "Configure options"
- Now tick the option 234 and click on Apply to activate the option for your server