This article describes how to apply Central Installation Directory (CID) based Remote Management System (RMS) configuration, which is useful in several circumstances:
- Changing the ParentAddress / ParentRouterAddress after a server migration
- Changing ParentRouterAddress to use a message relay
- Changing the ParentAddress / ParentRouterAddress when the server IP address is behind a NAT firewall
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Unix 9.0.0
Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux 9.0.0
Linux / Unix
What To Do
The method will depend on whether endpoint installations have already been deployed
- Option 1 - Pre-Installation (mrinit.conf)
Before installation, edit the
mrinit.conf file in the root of the CID. Eg:
\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\savlinux\mrinit.confIf using this method, you must uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus from any endpoint that has already used the existing mrinit.conf, and re-install afterwards.
- Option 2 - Post-Installation (mrinit.custom)
To centrally edit RMS information on existing endpoints, you can create a mrinit.custom which will be selected in preference to mrinit.conf.
Make a copy of
mrinit.conf and edit the required values (eg. ParentAddress, ParentRouterAddress). Save the new file as
mrinit.custom in the root of the CID. Eg:
Endpoints will automatically select mrinit.custom when they next perform an update from the CID.
If you are familiar with ConfigCID.exe it should be noted that this is not required/will not work in the scenario above.