When upgrading the database component of Enterprise Console 4.x to version 5.x the installation fails on the pre-checks page of the installer with the following error:
The logon user cannot access the database created during a previous installation.
The following error message is also shown in the
'Sophos_bootstrap [date] [time].log' file found in the installing users temp location (
16/01/2012 10:52:59, INFO : Validating whether logged on user can access the selected sql instance...
16/01/2012 10:53:00, INFO : There is not a SOPHOS instance on the local machine
16/01/2012 10:53:00, INFO : Uninitialized COM in SQL server searcher thread
16/01/2012 10:53:16, ERROR : COM error. Connection string: Provider='sqloledb'; Data
Source='(local)\MSSQLSERVER'; Initial Catalog='master'; Integrated Security='SSPI'; - Error: Unspecified error, Description: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (ParseConnectParams()).]Invalid connection.
16/01/2012 10:53:16, ERROR : System Property Check: Logged on user must have access to the database to upgrade it - FAILED
Note: This issue is also mentioned in article 113945.
First seen in
Enterprise Console 5.0.0
This error occurs when using a default named SQL Server instance (sometime referred to by the instance name 'MSSQLSERVER') as it is unable to accept connections using the format '(local)\MSSQLSERVER'.
What to do
If you wish to confirm you have the issue described in this article see the Technical Information section below.
To enable the upgrade to complete, please do the following on your SQL Server machine:
- Open Regedit (Start | Run Type:
Regedit.exe | Press Return)
- Browse to HKLM\Software\Sophos\EE\Management Tools\Database Installer
- Edit the registry string 'Instance'
- Delete the value 'MSSQLSERVER' and click OK
- Run the Enterprise Console installer.
- Create a .UDL file on the desktop of the SQL server, e.g. 'testcon.udl'
- Open the UDL file and go to the 'Provider' tab
- Select 'Microsoft OLE Provider for SQL Server' and click next
- At section 1 type in
- At section 2 select 'Windows NT Integrated Security'
- At section 3 attempt to select a database
- It should fail with error:
For further information on how to create a UDL file see article 65525.