If Sophos Anti-Virus Small Business Edition (SBE) server is installed on a workstation version of Windows (Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional), the following problems can occur
- the list of computers available for automatic installation is incomplete
- the list of computers available for automatic installation contains a different list of computers each time the 'Protect new computers' wizard is used
- automatic installation on other computers fails
- Sophos AutoUpdate installs successfully on the other computers, but is unable to download any packages from the download folder
- Sophos AutoUpdate downloads and installs the required packages, but occasionally fails to connect to the download folder to check for updates.
These problems occur because workstation versions of Windows will only allow a few network connections to be made to them at any one time. Any further requests for network connections are refused.
- Windows 2000 Professional allows ten simultaneous connections.
- Windows XP Professional also allows ten connections. However, the rules governing connections are so restrictive, that as few as four computers may actually be linked.
What to do
- Using Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003
Install Sophos Anti-Virus SBE server on a computer running Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003, but run the Sophos Control Center from a workstation. The Sophos Control Center can be installed separately on a workstation to manage the Sophos Anti-Virus SBE server across the network:
- open the home page of the Sophos Anti-Virus SBE CD
- select 'Advanced Options'
- in the Additional Sophos Control Center Installation section, select 'Install'.
- Using another type of server
If you cannot use Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003, install Sophos Anti-Virus SBE server on a computer running a workstation version of Windows, but use a download folder on a computer running another server version of Windows, or on Samba. To do this you must
- create a dedicated share for the download folder (do not use a folder in an existing share)
- create or choose users that Sophos Anti-Virus SBE server and Sophos AutoUpdate will use to read and write to the download folder
- manually set the permissions on the download folder share and the shared folder itself for the above users
- for Windows 98 computers set permissions allowing read access for Guest to the download folder share and the shared folder itself
- use the Advanced button in the Anti-Virus Setup Wizard 'Download anti-virus software from Sophos' dialog. Select the 'Download folder' tab and enter the UNC path to the share, the usernames and the passwords needed to access it.
- Using an http connection
If you have no suitable server, you can configure Sophos AutoUpdate to use an http connection to keep other computers up to date.
This will not solve the problems with the 'Protect new computers' wizard or with the initial installation of Sophos AutoUpdate and Sophos Anti-Virus on the other computers. It might also be necessary to install software manually on the other computers.