Endpoint Security and Control v10.2 and above supports the following Windows 8 editions:
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Enterprise
Windows 8 RT is not supported.
Note that earlier versions of Sophos Endpoint Security and Control do not support Windows 8.
For information about Enterprise Console support on Windows Server 2012 see article 118312.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
All licenses containing Sophos Endpoint Security and Control (SESC), including:
- Sophos Endpoint Protection-Advanced,
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control,
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection,
- Sophos Endpoint and Email Security and Control,
- Sophos Complete Security Suite
- Sophos Anti-Virus - Business
- Sophos Endpoint Protection - Business
What you need to know before you start
- Refer to the relevant section below, according to whether you are running Windows 8 or 8.1.
- Important: You will require Enterprise Console v 5.1 or above if you want to use the console to automatically deploy SESC 10.2 to your endpoint computers.
- You will find two installers on the SESC downloads page. One for SESC 10.2 and a separate installer for SESC 10.0.
- SESC 10.2 is a separate package in Enterprise Console. If you have Windows 8 computers, you must change the subscription and updating policy for groups that contain Windows 8 computers.
- SESC 10.0 is not supported on Windows 8 but installation is not blocked. This is normal practice.
- Windows 8 offers a new interface called 'Modern' and a new style of messaging called “Toast”. Endpoint Security and Control v 10.2 uses Toast for delivering user information.
How to install Endpoint Security and Control on Windows 8
You can obtain Endpoint Security and Control v10.2 as follows:
- To download v 10.2:
- Go to the Endpoint Security and Control downloads page (MySophos credentials required), where you will find 2 installers: 10.0 and 10.2. Download the 10.2 Standalone installer
- In Enterprise Console, subscribe to 10.2, and download the software as you would for any other operating system.
- Refer to the Sophos endpoint deployment guide for details on how to install or deploy the software, and ensuring that you meet the prerequisites detailed.
Installing Endpoint Security and Control on Windows 8.1
Important: If you plan to install on Windows 8.1, before you start, refer to the section 'Deployment Information' in the knowledgebase Advisory: Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2- support for Sophos products.
We also refer you to the following related articles:
- You will require Enterprise Console v 5.1 or above, if you want to use the console to automatically deploy SESC 10.2 to your endpoint computers. If necessary, upgrade to version 5.1 of the console.
- Additional deployment pre-requisites for Windows 8: you must disable the local security policy "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" (DEF79339).
- Sophos Client Firewall v3.0 and above is supported on Windows 8.
- SESC 10.2 is not correctly reported in Windows 8 Security Centre (WSC).
- Web filtering (URL reputation and download scanning) and client side web control will not work for Internet Explorer with Windows 8 style UI or any other Windows 8 style UI application that accesses the internet (although on-access scanning will detect malware).
- SESC 10.2 does not have updated Help files for Windows 8.
- Data Control will allow a remotely created storage pool to be accessed and written to, even if data control is enabled (DEF79180).
- The Sky Drive Windows 'Modern' UI application can be blocked through Application Control. However, it will not prevent the copying of files to SkyDrive through Windows Explorer if it is not disabled.