Virtual machines are often created quickly to fill a temporary need, leading to a proliferation of devices with little regard for asset management and policy structure. This can be particularly confusing when virtual machines are managed alongside physical machines in Enterprise Console.
To overcome this problem, it is possible to tag your systems with a description that you can use to group virtual machines. We recommend:
- Consider grouping your virtual machines by their function or business purpose - e.g. web servers.
- Consider grouping your virtual machines by their physical location - e.g. VMRackServer1
This option can also be used to overide the computer or domain name details. This is crucial if you have multiple systems with the same name, domain and IP address in different virtual systems and need to more easily tell them apart in Enterprise Console.
See also Best Practice guide to running Sophos on virtual systems
What to do
There are three registry keys which can be set with the required (String) values. We recommend that you change the ComputerDescriptionOverride entry in most cases.
- Before editing the registry, please read the following warning and then browse to:
\HKLM\Software\Sophos\Remote Management System\ManagementAgent\
- Change any of the following values to a unique value within your entire network (the values must be unique on both your physical and virtual networkds or machine records will be consolidated):
- When you have changed these values, restart the Sophos Agent service.