This article describes how to install a managed Linux/Unix endpoint. These instructions can also be used to migrate from a standalone endpoint to a managed endpoint.
Managing endpoints with Enterprise Console provides several benefits including centralized updating, policy configuration, and reporting.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
SAV for Linux v9.x
Linux / Unix
What To Do
Sophos Anti-Virus must be installed using the package in the Enterprise Console CID.
NOTE: You must subscribe to the Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux v9.x package using Sophos Update Manager first. For more information, see the Enterprise Console documentation:
Option 1 - Manual installation on a computer
Follow these instructions to install from the Enterprise Console CID:
- Login to the computer as root
- Configure access to the Enterprise Console CID:
- Mount the Enterprise Console CID across the network. For example, on linux systems:
mount -t cifs //SERVER/SophosUpdate /mnt/sophosupdate -o username=<user>,password=<pass>
- OR, Copy the Enterprise Console CID to a local temporary directory.
- Change directory to the CID folder/mount
- Run the installer:
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation
Option 2a - Creating a deployment package
A pre-configured deployment package can be created for installation on multiple computers:
- On a machine where SAV for Linux is already installed, login in as root
- Change Directory to:
- To create the deployment package use the following commands:
- To create a deployment package in tar format, called savinstpkg.tgz, run:
- (Linux) To create a deployment package in rpm format, called savinstpkg-0.0-1.i586.rpm, run:
- The installation package will be created in the current working directory
Option 2b - Installing the deployment package on multiple computers
You use the package in two ways:
- Manually on each computer. This approach can be used with a package in RPM or tar format
- Automatically across the network using an operating system administration tool. This approach can be used only with a package in RPM format
For manual installation, follow these steps:
- Use your own tools to copy the deployment package to the computers where you want to install Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Go to each computer and log in as root.
- Place the deployment package in a temporary directory and change to that directory.
- Install the deployment package:
- To install the tar package, type:
tar -zxvf savinstpkg.tgz
- To install the RPM package, type:
rpm -i <RPM Package>