This article provides specific information on how to subscribe to version 10.0.x of Sophos Anti-Virus. This is required for continued support for Windows 2000 and IA-64 Itanium computers as per advisory article 119894.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+
What To Do
The steps required depends on your current use of subscriptions, updating policies and groups in Enterprise Console.
In order to deploy version 10.0.x to only your Windows 2000 and IA-64 Itanium computers, you may need to create new groups in Enterprise Console to move these computers into, before applying new updating policies that reference new software subscriptions. This is required as you can only link one updating policy to a single group in Enterprise Console.
Note: If you are using the Active Directory (AD) Sync feature in Enterprise Console and you have sync-points which cover Organisational Units (OUs) where your Windows 2000 and IA-64 Itanium computers reside, you may have to move these computers to new OUs or adjust your sync-points in order to assign new updating policies just to these computers.
The recommended steps are therefore as follows:
- Create one or more new groups in Enterprise Console to move your Windows 2000 and IA-64 Itanium computers into. These could be sub-groups below the groups where these computers currently reside.
- Create a new software subscription under the "Update managers" view in Enterprise Console, give it an appropriate name such as '10 Recommended' and choose the '10.0 Recommended' package.
- This new subscription will then need to be subscribed to by the Sophos Update Manager(s) (SUMs) required to distribute it. This can be done under the 'Subscriptions' tab of the SUMs configuration.
- Once SUM has downloaded the package, create one or more new updating policies as required in Enterprise Console, again giving them a name to reflect their purpose, e.g. '10.0 Recommended'. Under the 'Subscription' tab of the updating policy, choose the newly created subscription as created in Step 2.
- Link the newly created updating policies to the groups created in Step 1.
- All computers in the groups should receive their new updating policy and update to version 10.0.x of Sophos Anti-Virus.
For more information on managing software subscriptions, see article 110302.