This article describes support for Sophos Endpoint Security and Control on Windows Server 2012, which will be available from launch.
For information about Endpoint Security and Control support for Windows 8, see knowledgebase article 118261.
Note: Enterprise Console support on Windows Server 2012 is available from Enterprise Console 5.2+. Of the editions of Server 2012 available only Datacenter, Standard and Essentials are supported. Neither Foundation nor Storage Server are supported.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
All licenses containing Sophos Endpoint Security and Control (SESC), including:
- Sophos EndUser Protection (previously called Endpoint Protection Advanced),
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control,
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection,
- Sophos Endpoint and Email Security and Control,
- Sophos Complete Security Suite
Note: Sophos Anti-Virus Business, and Endpoint Protection Business licenses will not be updated to v10.2 until mid-November (updating is targeted to start week beginning 12th November 2012).
Microsoft Windows Server 2012
What you need to know before you start
- Important: You will require Enterprise Console v 5.1 or above if you want to use the console to automatically deploy SESC 10.2 to your endpoint computers.
- You will find two installers on the SESC downloads page. One for SESC 10.2 and a separate installer for SESC 10.0.
- SESC 10.2 is a separate package in Enterprise Console. If you have Windows Server 2012 computers, you must change the subscription and updating policy for groups that contain Windows Server 2012 computers
- SESC 10.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2012 but installation is not blocked. This is normal practice.
How to install Endpoint Security and Control on Windows Server 2012
You can obtain Endpoint Security and Control v10.2 as follows:
- To download v 10.2:
Refer to the Sophos endpoint deployment guide for details on how to install or deploy the software, and ensuring that you meet the prerequisites detailed.
- Go to the Endpoint Security and Control downloads page, where you will find 2 installers: 10.0 and 10.2. Download the 10.2 Standalone installer
- In Enterprise Console, subscribe to 10.2, and download the software as you would for any other operating system.
- You will require Enterprise Console v 5.1 or above, if you want to use the console to automatically deploy SESC 10.2 to your endpoint computers. If necessary, upgrade to version 5.1 of the console.
- Additional deployment pre-requisites for Windows Server 2012: you must disable the local security policy "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" (DEF79339)
- SESC 10.2 is not correctly reported in Windows Server 2012 Security Centre (WSC).
- SESC 10.2 does not have updated Help files for Windows Server 2012
- Data Control will allow a remotely created storage pool to be accessed and written to even if data control is enabled (DEF79180).
- The Sky Drive application can be blocked through Application Control, however, it will not prevent copying of files to SkyDrive through Windows Explorer if it is not disabled.