This article describes intensive scanning options that can affect On-Demand scan performance.
NOTE: The below options are applicable to on-demand scans executed with sweep (SAV4) or savscan (SAV7/9)
What to do
Running a 'full' scan.
- By default, Sophos Anti-Virus for UNIX/Linux performs a 'quick' scan which checks only the parts of files which are likely to contain a virus. If 'full' scanning is set, Sophos Anti-Virus for UNIX/Linux will be much slower. Typically 'quick' scanning is five to ten times faster than 'full'.
- Full scanning is enabled when the
-full switch has been specified
Checking all files.
- By default, Sophos Anti-Virus for UNIX/Linux will only check files defined as executables. If Sophos Anti-Virus for UNIX/Linux is checking all files, it will take longer than if only executable files are being checked.
- To view a list of executable file extensions that are scanned, run this command:
- All files are scanned only when the
-all switch has been specified
Other scanning options.
- For more details on the available scanning options, run this command: