Sophos Update Manager appears to hang when downloading updates.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product and version
Enterprise Console 4.0.0
What to do
NOTE: If you have a lot of CIDs, it can sometimes take SUM quite a while to complete the updates.
Work through the following steps to identify where the issue lies. Once you think the issue has been resolved go to the section 'Checking status' below.
- Wait for ten minutes and then check again. Occasionally the service will be waiting for another process to finish before it can progress. It may well have finished now.
If it still appears to be stuck, go to step 2.
- Open the Windows Task Manager and check if the SophosUpdateMgr.exe process is using any CPU. If it is fluctuating, then it is probably busy updating or downloading. If this appears to be the case, check in the SUM log files to confirm what is happening. If SUM is not busy, go to step 3.
- If SUM is not busy, this suggests that the process has hung. Do the following:
If this does not resolve the issue, go to step 4.
- In the Windows Task Manager, right click SophosUpdateMgr.exe and choose End process. Click Yes.
- Right-click SUMService.exe and choose End process. Click Yes. (This step will stop the Sophos Update Manager Service)
- Open Windows Services and start the Sophos Update Manager Service.
- Check to see whether this is an RMS issue:
- Restart the SophosMessage Router service and the Sophos Agent service, and wait for a few moments
- This will force a message to be sent
- If this doesn't resolve the issue, you should specifically troubleshoot RMS.
If you think you have resolved the issue, confirm as follows:
Open the Windows Task Manager and check that the SophosUpdateMgr.exe process is running. Also check the Update Manager directory to see if this is now populated (or in the process of populating).
On Windows Server 2000/2003, check this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\Warehouse
On Windows Server 2008, check this directory:
C:\Program Data\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\Warehouse