Sophos has prepared this CD to give you an alternative way of booting your system from an external medium. This CD should only be used if you have already tried booting from external media by pressing the F7 key at the PBA and it hasn't worked. For more information about booting from external media, please search the SafeGuard Easy/Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption manual for the keyword “F7”.
Please note: This article and CD is only valid for SafeGuard Easy 4.x and Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption 4.60!
Before using the CD, ensure that:
- The computer has at least 512 MB RAM.
- The boot order in the computer's BIOS has been set to boot from CD.
There are also some conditions to using this CD that must be met:
- The hard disk drive must not require any special drivers (for example, S-ATA RAID drives). If you need to load additional device drivers in order to access the hard disk drive, this procedure will not work; however, if you download the image file below, you find the necessary files to create your own WinPE CD.
- The computer has a SafeGuard Easy/Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption user account set up that has the right to boot from external media. If an account with this right does not exist, this procedure will not work.
- The Pre-Boot Authentication (PBA) has been working and is displaying correctly. If the PBA cannot be displayed, this procedure will not work. Please contact your local helpdesk for more information.
How to obtain the WinPE CD image with integrated SafeGuard Easy logon tool
The image file can be downloaded from ftp://SGEWINPE:30445Be2ec@ftp.sophos.com:990
Protocol: FTP over explicit TLS/SSL
If you experience problems accessing this location, refer to the knowledgebase article Configuring your FTP Client to connect to Sophos' FTP for help.
Note: If you cannot configure your client to use encrypted transfer, you can alternatively connect to ftp-insecure.sophos.com on port 21 with plain FTP mode. However, all data sent and received across the insecure ftp network may be visible to others: ftp://SGEWINPE:30445Be2ec@ftp-insecure.sophos.com:21
What to do
- Burn the CD image to disk and put it in the computer's CD/DVD tray and reboot the computer.
When the CD boots up, the following screen appears:
- Press any key to boot the WinPE CD.
- Select a language to use for the user interface and a keyboard layout.
The language can be one of:
The list of keyboard layouts is much longer. However, ensure that the keyboard layout you choose is the same as the keyboard layout you are using in Windows. Otherwise, you may have problems with your SafeGuard password. For more information about using SafeGuard Easy/Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption with different keyboard layouts, please refer to the “Password Settings” chapter in the product manual.
- In the System Recovery Options window, click Next.
- In the list of recovery tools, select 'SGE/SDE Recovery Logon'.
- An authentication dialog appears. Enter your SafeGuard Easy/Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption logon credentials. Make sure that the user you enter has the right to boot from external media. If this right is not granted to the user, you will get a logon error and you cannot continue.
- When you have logged on successfully, the System Recovery options dialog will be displayed again. Open the command prompt to perform the actions you require (such as copying files).