How to apply a Windows installer patch (.msp file) to a SafeGuard Product.
Sophos product and version
All SafeGuard products
What to do
Scenario 1 - The Windows Installer package (.msi file) that should be patched is already installed.
Do one of the following:
- Option 1 (manual installation)
Double-click the .msp file
- Option 2 (automated installation / deployment)
Run msiexec /p <path to patch.msp>
Scenario 2 – The Windows Installer package (.msi file) that should be patched is not installed yet (e.g. fresh installation of software).
- Run an administrative installation of the original .msi file with the parameter /a
This will extract the contents of the .msi file into a given folder (for example, c:\extracted)
msiexec /a <path to msifile.msi>
- Run msiexec /p < path to patchfile.msp> /a <path to previously extracted *.msi package>
msiexec /p c:\patch.msp /a c:\extracted\Client.msi
This command will slipstream the patch into installation source which can be used for deployment.
- Run the extracted msi file to start the installation of the patched installation source
msiexec /i c:\extracted\Client.msi