When using the 'Discover computers' wizard in Enterprise Console and selecting 'Discover on the network' you may be presented with the following error message:
No domains/workgroups could be found, it is not possible to find new computers.
* The entered account has rights to retrieve computer information (if required).
* The entered account has access to computers on your network.
Further information: An extended error has occurred.
Sophos product and version
Microsoft Windows 2008 Server (all supported variants)
Microsoft Windows 2008 Small Business Server
What to do
By default, Windows Server 2008 does not have the 'Computer Browser' service enabled. To start the service and find the computers on your network:
1. Click Start | Run and then type
and press the Enter key.
2. Locate the Computer Browser service and select 'Automatic start-up' and then start the service.
3. In Enterprise Console, click 'Discover computers' and select 'Discover on the network'.
4. Enter some Administrator credentials that will work on all the computers and click Next.
If you do not require NetBIOS discovery after performing this procedure, you can safely stop the service and remove the ‘Automatic start-up’ setting.
The failure can occur either because of insufficient account permissions, as stated in the error message, or because a Master Browser server (which would perform a NetBIOS broadcast to discover clients) could not be located on the network.