The journal mailbox receives spam even though anti-spam policy is enabled.
Sophos product and version
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange, version 3
Windows 2003 SP2
What to do
1. Follow these steps to confirm the cause of this issue:
- In Exchange System Manager, right-click each Mailbox Store, and select Properties|General.
- Look in the field below the 'Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store' checkbox.
If you have configured a forwarding address which is in a remote domain, then this mailbox will be experiencing the issue described above.
- Follow the procedure in section 2 below 'Add remote domain to the mail domains list'.
2. Add remote domain to the mail domains list:
- Open the PureMessage Console and go to Configuration|System|Routing.
- In the Mail Domains section, add the remote domain for the forwarded email identified in part 1,
- Save the changes.
The PureMessage anti-spam policy only scans inbound email as classified in Appendix C: 'How does PureMessage route mail?' of the PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange Startup Guide. By default PureMessage classifies messages that are auto-forwarded to a remote domain, as outbound, meaning they are not scanned for spam. Adding the remote domain(s) means that they are now treated as inbound mail and scanned as such.