The savexquar_log.ldf and savexrprt_log.ldf SQL transaction log files have grown too large, in some cases as big as 100GB plus and 75GB plus respectively. These are the transaction logs for the SavexQuar.mdf (Quarantine database) and SavexRprt.mdf (Reporting database).
Sophos product and version:
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange, version 3.0.2
Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2
This issue may be due to the fact that the database has been installed to an instance that is using the Full recovery model. It should be set to Simple, as per the Sophos installation default.
What to do
Ensure that you have a recent full backup of SQL Server before proceeding with this.
You will need to use the SQL Server Management Studio Express which can be downloaded from here:
You can shrink the LDF files by using SQL Express Studio as follows:
- In the Object Explorer, right-click SavexQuar.
- Select Tasks|Shrink|Files.
- Change the file type to Log, and select a Shrink action type.
- Option 1, 'release unused space' is the safest and recommended option as it will shrink the log to the smallest size possible. Always use this option first.
- It is possible that you may have to highlight option 2, 'Reorganize pages before releasing unused space', then enter a desired value, if Option 1 does not shrink it to an adequate size as this will also re-organise the pages.
- Change the recovery model, which should be set to Simple. For details of how to do this, refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189272.aspx