When a user attempts to open the PureMessage Administration console, error code 0x80070005 is returned with one of the following error messages:
The administration console is unable to connect to the local server
The administration console is unable to connect to the remote server 'servername'
Sophos Product and Version
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange
What to do
Check that the user is contained in the Sophos PureMessage Administrators group as follows:
It is possible that the user is not included in the list of users authorised to manage PureMessage. The list of authorised users is contained in the Sophos PureMessage Administrators Active Directory (AD) user group which is created when PureMessage is installed. Check that the user is contained in the Sophos PureMessage Administrators group by following the instructions below.
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Double click on Sophos PureMessage Administrators.
- Select the Members tab.
- Check if the user's username is included in the list of members.
- If it is missing, add the username.
NOTE: If the problem persists after adding the new username, ensure that the AD changes have propagated to any other AD servers. This can be an issue where the console is not running on the same computer as the Exchange/PureMessage service.
If this procedure doesn't work, open the Component Services configuration console and edit the DCOM configurations as follows:
- Click Start|Run and type
dcomcnfg, press Enter.
- Expand Component Services, Computers, My Computer, DCOM Config
- Locate the PureMessage Service, right click and select Properties| Security tab.
- Under the Launch and Activation section, select the “Custom” radio button and click “Edit”. Add the Sophos PureMessage Adminstrators group, then grant Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation and Remote Activation. Click “OK”.
- Under the Access Permissions section, select the “Custom” radio button, then click “Edit”. Add the Sophos PureMessage Administrators group, then grant the group Local Access and Remote Access. Click “OK”
If you cannot open the console now, stop the Sophos PureMessage service, restart IIS services, and start the PureMessage service.