This article explains how to use an Email Appliance policy to quarantine all Backscatter/NDR spam messages.
What to do
- Log in to the administrative interface.
- Select Configuration | Policy | Anti-Spam | Inbound.
- Click Add.
- Under Rule type, select Bounce messages, and click Next.
- Select one or both options Enable Bounce Address Tag Verification (BATV) and Treat all auto-responders identified by SophosLabs as bounces, and click Next.
- Under Users & Groups, include the affected users, and click Next.
- Under Main Action, select quarantine (or any other action).
- (Optional if quarantining) Choose the reason for quarantine as spam, and click Next.
- Under Rule Description, enter a name for the policy (for example, "NDR Blocking.")
- Select Activate this rule.
- Click Save.
Ensure that the newly created policy is running (the active icon should be green).
The BATV option requires that outbound mail be passed through the appliance. Bounce messages originating from within the organization through the appliance will be accepted if the BATV option is selected. Please be aware that the rule Treat all auto-responders identified by SopohsLabs as bounces may capture all NDRs from valid mail servers. Please be sure to review those messages if you plan to quarantine NDR messages.