Sophos recommends using the bundled version of Postfix with PureMessage. In older versions of PureMessage, sendmail was the default mail transfer agent (MTA).
What to do
- Remove sendmail
- Install and configure Postfix
- Manually configure Postfix and restart PureMessage
- Back up your sendmail directory:
cp -rf /opt/pmx/sendmail /opt/pmx/sendmail.old
- As the root user, run
The curses-based PureMessage installer menu is displayed.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Uninstall PureMessage Components, and then press Enter.
The uninstall PureMessage components sub-menu is displayed.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight PureMessage Sendmail, press the space bar to select it, press the Tab key to select Uninstall these components, and then press Enter.
- When prompted to stop PureMessage, use Tab to select Yes, and press Enter.
PureMessage is stopped and you are prompted to confirm the uninstall of sendmail.
- Use Tab to select Yes, and press Enter.
PureMessage sendmail is uninstalled and the main installer menu is displayed.
Install and configure Postfix
- On the PureMessage installer main menu, use the arrow keys to select Install Additional Components, and then press Enter.
The install additional PureMessage components sub-menu is displayed.
- Use the arrow keys to select Mail Transfer Agent, press the space bar to select it, press Tab to select Install these roles, and then press Enter.
A sub-menu is displayed from which you can select the MTA that you want to install.
- Use the arrow keys to select Postfix, press the space bar to select it, press Tab to select Next question, and then press Enter.
- You are prompted with a series of questions about Postfix. Enter the appropriate values.
You are then presented with a summary of your selections. Press Tab to select Change these install options, and then press Enter to repeat this step.
- Once you have the configuration options set as you want them, press Tab, if necessary, to select Proceed with the installation, and then press Enter to finish installing Postfix.
Manually configure postfix and restart PureMessage
- Exit the installer and edit the file
This table file is similar to the mailertable within sendmail. Add the domains for which you want Postfix to relay messages. For example:
- Save the transport file, and edit the file
/opt/pmx/postfix/etc/main.cf by adding the following lines (if they are not already there):
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
mydomain = <your domain>
myhostname = <this servers fully qualified name and resolvable name>
myorigin = $myhostname
relay_domains = <domain1>,<domain2>,<domain3>
The domains within the
relay_domains section should be the domains listed within the transport table in Step 1. These domains are the domains for which you want Postfix to relay messages.
- Save the
main.cf file, and run the
make command within the
- Restart PureMessage as the pmx user by entering the command
- Re-configure MTA-level IP blocking for Postfix if you were using this recommended feature for sendmail.