Following an upgrade to PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange, version 3.0, from an earlier version, your spam rule updates have failed or have intermittently failed and you see the following errors in the ALC log:
Error: Product installation failed: PureMessageSpamRules: 0x8002000e
ALUpdate(Install.Failure): Sophos PureMessage: 0x8002000e
ERROR: Product installation failed: PureMessageSpamRules: 0x8002000e
First seen in
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange 3.0.0
(when upgraded from an earlier version of PureMessage)
When PureMessage is upgraded to 3.0 it attempts to remove any legacy registry keys. This sometimes does not complete, leaving the ‘Config’ key and possibly others behind. AutoUpdate reads the data in the ‘Config’ key and then downloads the spam rules for PureMessage 2.x ,which are not compatible with PureMessage 3.0. Subsequently the spam rules fail to install.
What To Do
Before you start, read the Warning about editing Windows registry
- Click Start|Run.
- Type in
Regedit and click 'OK'.
- Navigate to the following key:
- Right-click on MMEx and select 'Export'.
- Save the key as MMex.reg into a backup location. (If you have Windows 2000, you will need to Export the key by going to the File menu and selecting Export from there).
- Under MMEx delete the following Keys :
- Open the Services window, and restart all PureMessage services.
- You will now need to clear the AutoUpdate cache and SDDS warehouse data:
- In the Services window, stop the Sophos AutoUpdate Service
- Delete the contents of C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache
- Delete the contents of C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\data\warehouse
- In C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\data\Status delete the file Status.xml
- In the Services window, start the Sophos AutoUpdate Service
- In the system tray, right-click the Sophos shield, and select 'Update now'. The rules should now update correctly.