Within this article it is explained how to manually install the Windows Phone 8 Sophos Mobile Control app.
This might be necessary if users deselected the "Install company app or Hub" after the installation of the company app or just removed the Mobile Control app.
Applies to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Mobile Control 3.6
Sophos Mobile Control 3.5
Sophos Mobile Control as a Service 3.6
Windows Phone 8
What To Do
Before manually installing the Windows Phone 8 app you should make sure that the company app was already installed.
This can be verified by opening "Settings | company apps" on your Windows Phone 8 device. Íf Sophos Mobile Control (SMC) is listed in there, follow the steps below.
If the company app is not listed the device has to be registered with a Sophos Mobile Control server first. How to do this is explained in the "Mobile Control user guide for Windows Phone 8" available on sophos.com
Downloading and installing the Mobile Control app
- On your Windows Phone 8 device open the "Store" app
- Search for "Sophos Mobile Control" and open it
- Press the "install" button and allow the app to access the location feature
- The app will be downloaded and installed
- After the installation has been finished the app has to be activated.
Activating the Mobile Control app
To activate the Mobile Control app, the user has two possibilities:
- Using the Self Service Portal
- Log in to the Self Service Portal of your SMC server (e.g. smc.company.com/ssp)
- Once logged in, expand the details of your Windows Phone 8 device
- Make a note of the value next to "Activation Token"
- On your Windows Phone 8 device, open the recently installed Mobile Control app
- In the field "Server URL" enter your SMC server URL, e.g. smc.company.com
- In the fied "Activation Token enter the value which was shown in the Self Service Portal
- Press the connect button
- The app should correctly synchronize
- If the Self Service Portal is not used, an activation email can be sent out by the Sophos Mobile Control administrator
- The SMC administrator has to log in at the SMC web console
- Search for the affected device
- Press the "Activate Windows Phone SMC app" button
- After pressing this button the activation email is sent out to the email address configured for this device.
- The user has to follow the steps described in the mail to successfully activate the app
- After following the steps the app should correctly synchronize