By default, the Sophos Mobile Control service (SMCSVC) runs under the Local System user. With the service release 2.0.3 of Sophos Mobile Control, you can run the SMC service with a local user.
This article describes how to configure it so that the SMC service runs under a local user.
First seen in
Sophos Mobile Control 2.0
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
What To Do
NOTE: This procedure can only be done if you have installed service release 2.0.3 of Sophos Mobile Control.
- If you have chosen the SQL authentication mode during the setup of SMC to connect to the SQL database, you must perform the following steps:
- Create a local user (preferably with a password that does not expire).
- Remove this user from all groups which he is in by default.
- Allow this user full access rights to the Sophos Mobile Control installation directory, including subdirectories (by default, this would be "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Mobile Control").
- Open the services.msc
- Open the settings of the SMCSVC service and click the "Log On" tab.
- Select the radio button "This account" and specify the account created in step 1.
- Restart the service.
- If you have chosen Windows Authentication during the initial setup of SMC, you only have to carry out step 3 above for the user who has already been specified for running the SMC service.