Sophos Mobile Security protects mobile devices from mobile viruses and spyware. It can be installed on individual mobile phones and Pocket PCs, or deployed to multiple devices. See Sophos Mobile Security: overview for more information on installation and troubleshooting.
- These guidelines discuss deploying to multiple mobile devices from a desktop computer, or using customized configuration files.
- For instructions on installing on an individual mobile device, see the Sophos Mobile Security for Windows Mobile startup guide.
1. Before you start
- Check the system requirements in the product release notes.
- Uninstall any other anti-virus software on the mobile device.
2. Methods of deployment
You can deploy Sophos Mobile Security to your mobile devices using the following methods
- Third-party device management software (e.g. Intellisync Mobile Suite or Sybase Afaria)
- ActiveSync version 4 or above
- copying or sending the installation file to the mobile device.
Where possible, deploy from a desktop computer. With all methods you can customize your configuration before deployment.
3. Customized configuration
The Sophos Mobile Security Configuration Tool is a Windows 2000/XP application which allows you to create configuration files to control the Sophos Mobile Security settings on your managed devices.
- Create the file,
MobileSecurity.cfg, using the Sophos Mobile Security Configuration Tool (the file will usually be placed in C:\Program files\Sophos\Sophos Mobile Security).
- Copy the file to the 'My Device' folder on the mobile devices with Active Sync, or third-party management software.
When Sophos Mobile Security is installed, that configuration file will be used.
If you do not deploy a
MobileSecurity.cfg file, the default settings will be used.
For instructions on using the Sophos Mobile Security Configuration Tool, see the following documentation:
- Sophos Mobile Security administrator guide
- Sophos Mobile Security Configuration Tool user manual.