Text strings containing extended (Japanese) characters in the 'Blocked phrases' and 'Offensive language' lists are not being blocked.
Sophos product and version
PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange, version 3.0.1
What to do
The strings entered on the Strings tab of the Blocked Phrases or Offensive Language windows must have a space both before and after them to enable PureMessage to block them.
The instructions below describe how to fix this in the Blocked Phrases list. The steps are identical for changing the Offensive Language list.
- Open the Blocked Phrases window by clicking Configuration|Transport (SMTP) scanning policy|Content.
- On the Content filtering screen, in the relevant 'On blocked phrase' bar, click 'Define'.
- Ensure you are viewing the 'Strings' tab and click the Export button to save the list as a text file.
- Open the list in a third-party text editor such as Notepad.
- Type one space before and one space after each string.
- When you have finished editing the phrases, save the file and exit Notepad.
- In the Blocked Phrases window, click the import button.
- Find the list you edited in Notepad and click OK.
- Select Replace to replace the strings in the list.
- Close the window and send a new email with a blocked phrase to test the updated list.