Installation issue following removal of Symantec AV by Sophos installer.
The following occurs when opening MS Outlook:
"The Add-in "Symantec AntiVirus 10.1" (C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmsece4.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in."
Sophos product and version
Utilities Competitor Removal Tool (CRT)
What to do
This refers to a plug-in left behind after Symantec AV is removed using CRT. Microsoft KB on how to do this in general:
Symantec also has forums postings, to wit:
Other possible steps:
- Go to Outlook tools menu, select "Trust Center", then select "Add-ins".
- At the bottom of the window is the "Manage" drop-down menu. Select "Exchange Client Extensions" and click "Go".
- In the window that pops up, UNCHECK the Symantec Antivirus option and click "OK".
- You could delete it via %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat
- Remove the reference to "Symantec AntiVirus 10.1"
found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions\