Sometimes a malware description specifies that cleanup should be performed after a full system scan (full scan), to ensure all components of the threat have been found. This article describes a 'full system scan' also known as a 'full scan' which is different from selecting the option to 'Scan my computer'.
A full scan checks the following:
- Memory is scanned.
- The Windows registry is scanned.
- All local hard drives are scanned.
Note: Ensure the user running the scan is both a Windows administrator and a member of the local 'SophosAdministrator' group. This is to ensure that files with limited user access and permissions are included in the scan.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+ 10.0
What To Do
- Right-click the Sophos shield and select 'Open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control'.
- From the Home screen click on 'Scans'.
- Click on 'Set up a new scan'.
- Enter a name for the scan and check all local drives.
- Click on 'Configure this scan'.
- On the 'Scanning' tab check the following:
- Adware and PUAs
- Suspicious files
- Scan all files
- On the 'Cleanup' tab ensure the option 'Automatically clean up items that contain virus/spyware' is checked and click OK.
- Click 'Save and start' to begin the scan.
The scan will start and show the progress in a new windows with an activity summary shown in the left hand panel.
Any items found will be shown in the Quarantine manager at the end of the scan.