Malware can sometimes be detected in your internet browser's temporary cache folder. These files make their way onto your computer when browsing infected websites on the internet.
Often these temporary files have already been deleted/removed but the quarantine item(s) and console alert remain. The files may have been removed after detection by:
- The browser automatically clearing its cache.
- The operating system performing a disk clean up.
- Third-party applications performing various clean up actions.
Known to apply to the following Sophos product(s) and version(s)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+
What To Do
We recommend you clear your browser's cache folder (temporary internet files), clear the item in the quarantine manager by acknowledging the item and then rescan the computer.
Acknowledge alert or items
- Open the endpoint security main application by right-clicking the Sophos icon.
- Access the Quarantine Manager.
- Check the item to be cleared and click 'Clear from list'.
- Click OK to the warning prompt.
Note: If you are using a central console there may also be an alert against the computer's name. Ensure it is also acknowledged by right-clicking on the computer's name in the console and selecting resolve errors and alerts.
Clear browser's cache
Choose from the following list for information on clearing your browser's cache folder.
Rescan the computer
We recommend you rescan the computer to confirm the threat has been fully removed. For more information on running a full local scan see article 61665.